Friday, February 21, 2014

Dentistry is a Sedentary Profession

In dental school, I was instructed to sit for all procedures with the exception of oral surgery (ie. pulling teeth).  I was promised that this would save me from numerous health problems (stemming from back pain).  This positioning translates to hundreds upon thousands of working-hours spent sitting on my butt while I render dental care.  

Popular Science recently ran an online article entitled “7 Ways Sitting Will Kill You.”  Those seven ways are:  Chronic Disease, Reduced Life Expectancy, Kidney Disease, Poor Mental Health, Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome, Death from Colorectal Cancer, Death (Just Death!).  

A couple of years ago, I started to transition to standing while delivering treatment.  Guess what?  With proper angulation of the hand-mirror and careful chair adjustment (ensuring the patient’s comfort), neither my assistant nor I have suffered any crippling back issues or musculoskeletal problems at all!  Of course, I am only providing anecdotal evidence of how I have been able to implement this technique.  However, I find it comical that the only branch of dentistry where I ever find myself physically tired or strained, is oral surgery (where standing was recommended!), and even then, it is a rare occurrence.  

If you're a dentist, work in the dental field, or work any kind of desk-job where you're sitting most of the day, take a look at the article to read about the dangers of sitting all day long! 

I have been experimenting with getting my feet moving while I have some down-time if a patient reschedules, or while I am writing chart notes.  More on this topic in a future update!

1 comment:

  1. In the name of many affordable Louis Vuitton handbags in front of some people with the big slip, but in vain to back the brand Chanel handbags name is still aunt street; and smart fashion fine they will know how to use the same money to buy the noble fashion Rolex Air King section .If you have determined to get rid of Aunt, promotion of fashion fine, then first look at the luxury entry five best?Original Rolex Watches?and the most worthwhile investment in five international Omega Watches Replica big bar.As if the brand of Replica Tag Heuer had to recommend, can not find a reason not recommended.?

    Louis Vuitton handbags


    Rolex Air King

    1:1 Replica Breitling Watches


    Chanel handbags


    Original Rolex Watches


    Omega Watches Replica


    Replica Tag Heuer

    ReplyDelete